Would you like to have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of disadvantaged children?
At this exciting and strategic time of change we wish to strengthen our current board of Trustees to ensure our capability to fulfil our mission and vision.
What are we looking for?
Following a review of our strategic direction and a refresh of our board skills survey, we are now seeking trustees with good understanding and/or connections in the following areas:
- Publicity, media and marketing
- Connections to patrons, HNW donors, philanthropists, trust bodies etc
- Legal issues, possibly including intellectual property law
- A general wish to support our charity
- Experience of NGOs work in China.
BCH (UK) has sister charities in the US, Australia and Hong Kong that support the work through publicity and fundraising.
Current trustees on the International Board are based in the UK, Australia, Hong Kong and China. New trustees can be based anywhere in the world.
This is a voluntary role and is not accompanied by any financial remuneration.
The mission of Butterfly Children’s Hospices CIO (BCH) is to promote excellence in children’s palliative and hospice care in China (and other similar locations) through leadership, collaboration, advocacy and education.
Butterfly Children’s Hospices was founded to support families of children with life-limiting conditions and life-threatening illnesses. Our mission is to ensure that all children are afforded dignity and love in life and death. Our wish is to keep families and children together wherever possible, supporting caregivers of fragile children to access and provide the best palliative care available.
We have become a beacon for children’s palliative care services in China, advocating, inspiring and training excellence in holistic palliative care. Since 2006, we have provided loving care and treatment for sick and abandoned babies and children at our hospice in Changsha. We are now working in partnership with government, hospitals, social welfare institutions and professional associations, to develop and support holistic models of children’s palliative care across China.
Some of Our Achievements…
Focussing on our role as advocates for palliative care in China we have undertaken the following:
- Organising and hosting four national conferences in China, with a fifth in the planning
- Translating education and training materials into Chinese
- Funding and producing the first educational video on paediatric palliative care in Chinese
- Advising the government on health care policy and paediatric palliative care standards
- Serving on the board of the China Care for Life Association, the national body for palliative care in China.
- Working closely with the International Children’s Palliative Care Network (ICPCN) to develop online courses and training materials in Mandarin
Our Charity Status (International Board, registered UK)
We have been in operation in China since September 2006 under the name Butterfly Children’ Hospices. We became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation in June 2016 in order to offer better protection for our trustees.
We have been operating as Butterfly Children’s Hospices CIO since our financial year beginning September 2016.
Links to both charities can be found on the UK charity commission website under the registrations:
General trustee information from the UK Charity Commission: The Essential Trustee
Make an Application
If you are interested in the role, please consider the information throughout this website, including the role description, as well as the following time commitment:
- Attending quarterly board meetings (held via conference call);
- Participating in the work of sub committees (e.g. finance, fundraising) as appropriate;
- Providing guidance on issues in which the trustee has special expertise;
- Contributing advice and support on an ad-hoc basis.
To apply, send a covering letter along with your CV as an email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org